Monday, June 27, 2011

I GOT AN AGENT!

I've been dreaming about this blog post for a long time. I had it all worked out in my head--and let me tell you, friend, it was RAD!

First I was going to suck you in with a really sexy title like, "You had me at hello" or, "Out of the slush I will rise!" And then I was going to string together a beautifully eloquent statement about subjectivity, and how one agent's trash is another agent's treasure.

I was going to captivate you with unlikely metaphors, and dazzle you with my surprising wit and off-color humor. I'd offer a sweet little nugget that you'd chew on and think, "Man, that RookieRiter totally gets it!" And then I'd conclude my awesome post by telling you that it only takes one YES to make it all worthwhile.

And now here I am...
The day I've been dreaming about.
The day I've been praying for.
The day I got an agent.
And what do I come up with??? I GOT AN AGENT. (Brilliant, Rook).

The truth is, I'm at a loss for words.

Up until a week ago my story was cliche. But today it's charming & fresh? What gives?!

Doesn't this east coast agent of glory know who she's talking to? I'm the RookieRiter. I get rejections, not offers. I run around with women who liken themselves to goat herders, not poet laureates. Why do I deserve all this love & affection??

All I can come up with is, SHE GETS ME. I don't know how it happened, but Rachael Dugas gets me. And now she's going to do her best to help my book become something wonderful--and that is just about the coolest thing that's ever happened to me.

The 90+ rejections over two manuscripts are history. The words "cliche" and "predictable" that plagued me three weeks ago are just words in a dictionary now. All the hurt, frustration, tears, anger and booze (okay, not the booze) but the rest of it really is dust in the wind. It's gone...

Since I can't think of anything fancy to say (I'm in a happy fog right now), I'll leave you with this:
DON'T GIVE UP! EVER!! If it can happen to me, BELIEVE ME, it can happen for you! JUST KEEP SWIMMING!!