Monday, July 11, 2011

Boo, hoo, hoo

Because I have a sore throat, headache, and an impossible amount of mosquito bites, I thought I'd share my favorite poem with you. Because it makes me feel a little better.

Sick




















'I cannot go to school today, '
Said little Peggy Ann McKay.
'I have the measles and the mumps,
A gash, a rash and purple bumps.
My mouth is wet, my throat is dry,
I'm going blind in my right eye.
My tonsils are as big as rocks,
I've counted sixteen chicken pox
And there's one more-that's seventeen,
And don't you think my face looks green?
My leg is cut-my eyes are blue-
It might be instamatic flu.
I cough and sneeze and gasp and choke,
I'm sure that my left leg is broke-
My hip hurts when I move my chin,
My belly button's caving in,
My back is wrenched, my ankle's sprained,
My 'pendix pains each time it rains.
My nose is cold, my toes are numb.
I have a sliver in my thumb.
My neck is stiff, my voice is weak,
I hardly whisper when I speak.
My tongue is filling up my mouth,
I think my hair is falling out.
My elbow's bent, my spine ain't straight,
My temperature is one-o-eight.
My brain is shrunk, I cannot hear,
There is a hole inside my ear.
I have a hangnail, and my heart is-what?
What's that? What's that you say?
You say today is...Saturday?
G'bye, I'm going out to play! '

-Shel Silverstein








6 comments:

  1. Boo hoo! No fun to be sick. I'm sorry you're not feeling well. Here's to hoping you feel better really soon. Hang in there, Shakira.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shakira's waking up a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Shel Silverstein! I have "Where the Sidewalk Ends" and "The Giving Tree" which always makes me cry. Stupid man-boy using the poor tree! *sobs*

    Anyways, I feel ya on the mosquito bites. I swear all those little vultures within a ten mile radius camp out on my lawn and wait for me to stick even just a toe outside so they can make me their own personal buffet.

    Hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The mosquito bites are just too much! Couldn't they have left you alone given your circumstances? Could you even be tasty with such an illness?

    Insects. I tell you. They are going to sit on us.

    Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Apparently we're having some wackadoo mosquito infestation in So. Cal this summer. They can't get enough of me!

    I have both of those books, Mare. I always get so mad at that dumb boy-man who cuts down the tree. And we're really supposed to believe she's happy being a stump?! Ugh...

    ReplyDelete
  6. AWWWW! I LOVE Shel!! Where the Sidewalk Ends was one of my fave collections of poetry growing up. I even made sure both of my kiddos read that one (actually read it to them so I could relive it--hehe). Thanks so much for sharing this. And I hope you're better today, luvie. :)

    ReplyDelete