Sunday, April 15, 2012

Patience: Not just a noun, but a possibility...

Anyone who has read this blog more than three times is painfully aware that I am NOT a patient person. Turns out most of us writers aren't. (Prolly not the best career choice but...whatever. #crazy)

I'm neck-deep in the submission process right now, and contrary to what I hoped, it involves just as much patience as the searching-for-an-agent game I was struggling through last year. Needless to say, I've been praying for patience. A LOT. Some days are better than others, thanks largely to my top-notch support team (holla!), but there are definitely down days, too.

I was having one of those particularly down days last week. I'd just returned from a family outing to Disneyland. Don't get me wrong, the Mouse House is always great fun, but vacations are hard for me, too. As crazy as it sounds, I feel more secure being in the familiar trenches of my own worry than relishing in distraction of roller coasters and women far too large to be wearing Lycra. I like my routine--even if it's...depressing.

Anyway, back to the story: It was 2:30 a.m., and I' just had an I-had-to-pee-and-now-I-can't-go-back-to-sleep-so-I'll-just-keep-thinking-about-how-crappy-my-life-is moment
when I remembered a clip from this movie, Evan Almighty



After my brain hamster wheeled around on that a few minutes, I realized that Morgan Freem...er, God, was absolutely right. Patience may not arrive on my doorstep every morning like a freshly printed USA Today, but I am afforded many opportunities to grow it. MANY!