Saturday, May 5, 2012

I SOLD MY BOOK!!! Let's sum up this feeling in one word...

I've been trying to come up with a fancy, dramatic, or amusing way to share my incredible news with all of you, but the truth is I keep coming up short.

Perhaps its because I'm tired (the dog has recently implemented a 4 a.m. potty break to his schedule), or maybe it's because I'm secretly hoping the little faeries who will one day empty the dishwasher will write this post for me. Either scenario is possible, however I think it's probably due to the fact that there is no fancy, dramatic, or amusing way to express what I'm feeling. Instead I think one, short word will do the job:

JOY

(As found in dictionary.com)

joy

[joi] Show IPA
noun 1. the emotion of great delight or happiness caused by something exceptionally good or satisfying; keen pleasure; elation:
Yes. That's me. I am filled with JOY 


You see friends, my book, Summer on the Short Bus, sold this week. (!!!)   
*heaves a deep breath cause this is feeling really overwhelming right now*

Like any proud mother, I will tell you that my baby isn't like other babies. My baby is extra special. It's irreverent. It's sarcastic. It's funny. It's emotional. It's potentially controversial. And it is ALL.ME. My heart and soul are woven through the 57,000 words that make up this quirky little book. It was inspired by my differently-abled daughter, and realized through my very vivid and, at times, warped imagination. It's a book that you either get or you don't...and I wasn't sure anyone would ever get it enough. Until this week...

Summer on the Short Bus has found a loving, nurturing home at Running Press Teens (An imprint of Perseus Books Group). With the help of my editor, Marlo Scrimizzi, *swoon* (that's FUN to say) The Short Bus will be released in Spring of 2014.

I am ever grateful to my agent, Rachael, who pacified my neurosis during the submission process. To my #posse of friends for their unwavering support that this would actually happen some day. To my family for listening to endless whimperings of a frustrated writer, and most of all to my heavenly father who blessed me with an opportunity I've only dared dream about.