Sunday, December 9, 2012

Don't get comfortable

I've had the pleasure of interviewing a handful of authors and agents over the last year or so, and while I'm far from Oprah (both in skill set and tanning ability), I think I'm pretty decent at it. I came up with some standard questions that give both insight to my guest's current work, as well as a peek at who they are outside their books/jobs, etc. Nothing too deep, but not the same ole questions they're getting bombarded with on everybody else's blogs. It's just tete-a-tete between two friends. Cozy. Friendly. Comfortable.

Comfortable.
Comfortable.
Comfortable.

*Rookie heaves a deep breath, hoping that if she types that word just one more time, her upcoming interview might actually be comfortable instead of what she knows, in her heart, it will be.*

Comfortable.
Comforta--CRAP!

It's no use guys. 

I can't possibly convince myself that my next interview is going to be comfortable. 

I CAN'T! 

A knot-bound tummy is not comfortable.

Standing on legs that wobble like over-cooked noodles is not comfortable.

When your heart pounds so violently that you're sure it will tear open your chest...yeah, definitely not comfortable.

Passing out for lack of oxygen because you can't catch your breath...GAWD! NOT COMFORTABLE!

And there is nothing, nothing, as UN-comfortable as being face-to-face with the man you've swooned over for months, knowing you're not the girl whose captured his heart.

Fan Club, my next interview could quite possibly destroy me. To be so close to someone so heroic, stoic and ... sexy, without license to have him for myself...I'm just not sure I'll survive it.

In the event that I fall dead of non-reciprocated desire before the interview is finished, I need one of you to pick up where I left off. Will you do that for me???

(Come back December 26th to see how it all plays out)