Saturday, July 11, 2015

BADASS AUTHOR, REBEKAH CRANE

Rebekah Crane fell in love with YA literature while studying Secondary English Education at Ohio University. After having two kids, living in six different cities, and finally settling down in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains, her first novel, PLAYING NICE, was published. ASPEN, her second YA novel, released in June 2014. Rebekah's other accomplishments include: World's Biggest Julie Andrews Fan and current girlfriend to Jane Austen (it's kind of a one-sided relationship). She is also widely known for singing an impeccable rendition of Janis Joplin's "Me and My Bobby McGee" and credits herself with single-handedly bringing back tie-dye.

Rebekah now spends her day carpooling kids or tucked behind a laptop at 7,500 ft high in the Rockies, where the altitude only enhances the writing experience.


Now, let's get to know this badass a little better...

What is your favorite word?
Juxtaposition  
What is your least favorite word?
Discharge

What sound or noise do you love? 
A rushing mountain stream  

What sound or noise do you hate?
The sound of someone vomiting. GAH.   

What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?
SOAP OPERA STAR. Best. Job. Ever.

What profession would you not like to do?
Bus driver. It’s like Groundhog Day. Same route. Different day. And my butt would hurt from sitting all the time.

What is your favorite color Popsicle?
Orange

Sprinklers or Slip N Slide?
Slip N’ Slide!!

Favorite John Hughes Movie?
The Breakfast Club

Last song you listened to?
Marty Robbins’ El Paso

What book do you wish you would have written because it’s just that good?
The Perks of Being a Wallflower, damn it.

In one sentence or less, what does every aspiring-author need to know?
The rule of 70/30: To get a reader invested in your story, tell 70% of everything you want to tell, the reader will have to imagine the other 30%, in turn becoming a part of the story themselves.  

*sniffs* Yup, BADASS!

Now, here's a peek at the TWO books Rebekah has up for grabs. PLAYING NICE is included in the SAND BETWEEN MY TOES prize pack, 

and ASPEN is one of the great books in the SPELLS, SPIRITS AND SWOONS, OH MY! prize pack.

Click here for a full list of prize packs

Martina "Marty" Hart is really nice. At least, that's what people think. It's Marty's junior year at Minster High. Minster's a small town where making great grades and smiling pretty gets you ... what? Marty's not sure. Instead of dreaming about a sororities-and-frats future at nearby University of Michigan, she's restless. When Lil Hatfield transfers to Minster, Marty gets her chance. Lil's different. She smokes, listens to angry punk records, and lives in a weird trailer with her mother. Lil has secrets--secrets that make her a target for all the gossiping and online bullying Minster can muster. But so does Marty. And Marty sees something different in Lil. Something honest. Something real. Playing Nice is the achingly true story of a girl who's been following the rules for so long she's forgotten who she was when she started. It's about falling in love with the wrong people and not seeing the right ones, about the moments in life when you step out of line, take a chance ... and begin to break free.




One quiet night in Boulder, Colorado, Aspen Yellow-Sunrise Taylor made a mistake.

Aspen doesn't want to remember the car accident that killed Katelyn Ryan, a sleek-haired popular soccer player. But forgetting is hard-- because Katelyn may have died -- but she didn't leave. Her ghost is following Aspen around, and heading into senior year, it's kind of a problem. Especially when Katelyn's former boyfriend Ben appears to be the only person at school with a clue as to how Aspen feels.

Popularity, Homecoming Court, hot guys - none of these things ever mattered to Aspen. She's been busy trying to keep her stoner mother Ninny in line and out of unemployment. But with Ben sitting next to her in Physics and her therapist begging her to remember all the things she wants to forget, Aspen is thrust into a vivid, challenging world she can't control ... and doesn't want to.

A darkly funny, emotionally gripping story of opening up, letting go, and moving on, Aspen is about the best-worst accident of your life ... and what comes next.


Rebekah adores stalkers, so track her down on her website, Twitter or Facebook, and be sure to add her books to your Goodreads list. 

Now, ENTER THE GIVEAWAY!!




*Many thanks to James Lipton for letting me steal sharing his awesome interview questions*