Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Right where I left off...

Recently I've been inspired by some of my blogging buddies' playful posts. (Blogging buddies...that sounds sort of dirty) While I find it beyond encouraging to learn of other author's harrowing journeys to publication, or discover where the latest, eager agent is hiding out, I also find that wacky, nonsensical posts are a much needed distraction to this emotionally draining process.

That said, my creative cohorts, I'd like to challenge you to a little game. I'm going to start a story, then you're going to pick up right where I left off. Second blog responder will pick up where the first responder left off and so on...

So, lock the kids in the basement, tell your boss you're on a conference call, order pizza instead of making dinner. Whatever it takes to get your silly juices flowing, DO IT, because the game starts...NOW!

"2:52 a.m.... just like clockwork," Roger mumbled, refilling the Starbuck's mug Joyce had given him for Christmas. He'd never seen anything like it before. When it happened the second time he thought it was just a fluke, but it had been five nights in a row now. This chick was up to something.

He added a generous helping of sugar to his house blend before returning to his secured location behind the living room curtains. This was a show he did not want to miss.

10 comments:

  1. Haha! What a FUN idea! Okay, I'm game. Here we go...(maybe we can get Mindy, Jenny, Angela, and Cherie over here to finish this...THAT would be spectacular...)

    Roger squinted through the small opening, watching in awed silence as once again, Ms. Ogleman from across the street gathered up her eleven cats and sat them on her living room couch.

    He snorted to himself, thinking how lucky he was that she never thought to close her curtains before starting this strange ritual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WAHOO!! I just knew it was Ms. Ogelman!Carry on ladies...(Phresh, I know you're dying to jump in here)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh! Oh, great. I get to follow Ms. AMAZING Writer herself, Anita. How am I supposed to compete with THAT ;o) Okay, well here goes nothing.

    Roger watched as Ms. Ogelman reached into the pocket of her moo-moo and pulled out a small, black comb and a pair of fur clippers.

    He reached over and grabbed the binoculars off the coffee table. He had to get a better view of what she was about to do next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice turn, Angela! Shaved cats are my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heard my name called, on the wind! (Awesome blog post idea.)

    Roger blanched as Ms. Ogleman switched the clippers on, raised the comb in the air like a dancer with a fan, and began to spin in dizzying circles. Her mumu, in a fetching Lilly Pulitzer pattern ("drunken pink prawns riding equally drunken green hippos"), ballooned around her as she spun. Roger heard the buzzing whine of the clippers.

    The cats--all eleven of them--set up an awful howl.

    "This is when it happens!" Roger whispered. "This is when the change always occurs."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes!! THE CHANGE always happens now...

    (prawns and hippos. dude, you're seriously cool)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this so much that I gave you an award! Come and get it.
    http://thepartypony.blogspot.com/2011/04/versatile-blogger-award-now-tattooed-on.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. AAck!! No, Jenny beat me to giving you the award! Hahaha. That's the third time someone has raced across the finish line before me. Sigh. Okay, that's it. I'm about to come up with my own award. And I'm going to give it to all of you. SO HA. ;)

    BTW, loving the way this story is going. Can't wait to see who finally comes up w/what happens to the kitties!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, and *waves* to Jenny and Angela (you crack me up, girls!). I'm glad you felt my vibes calling to you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. *blush*
    So much fanfare over little old me.

    Thanks, Phresh. I've submitted my acceptance speech for your approval. Now I have to figure out 5 friends to bestow this gift upon...hmmm

    ReplyDelete