Thursday, August 4, 2011

LIFE AS A WRITER, THROUGH THE EYES OF A HAMSTER

If I've ever commented on your blog, or emailed you privately, you probably know that I have a hamster living inside my brain. (It's true. Under all that hair there is a brain) My little hamster does not have an official moniker, though this week the name MELVIN popped into my head, so I think that's what I'll call him. One thing my little hamster friend definitely does have, however, is a tremendous amount of influence on my life.

Because this may be an advanced concept for some of you to process (or, more likely, too ridiculous to consider) I thought I'd give you the lay version of what my life as a writer is like through the eyes of Melvin. Please follow along using the pictures for guidance.



Here we see Melvin in the condition I was in on Monday after returning from vacation. He is fat, lazy, and content with doing absolutely nothing. He hasn't written anything in days, and he drank more alcohol than his furry little body was used to. He doesn't care about much of anything--except getting some sleep.



Here is Melvin on Tuesday. He woke up to the painful reality that he was fat, lazy, and had been, up until that morning, absolutely content doing absolutely nothing. In short: MELVIN WAS A LOSER WITH NO FUTURE! Because he was a disgusting, going-nowhere little beast, he immediately began nourishing his body with healthy treats like broccoli, blog posts, water, books, and emails from encouraging friends. If he was going to get back on that wheel, he'd need energy, right?



(Side note: On this day Rookie received an unfair amount of support from a fellow writer and dear friend, assuring her that she had not lost her passion for writing, and that God would not deny her an opportunity to be published, simply because she took a few days off.)

And today we see the fruit of Melvin's labor. See him there? He's sprinting on his wheel! That sucker is about ready to fly off its hinges! Ideas are percolating, words are flowing, fingers are flying...it's a good day to be a writer. Melvin is on a roll. (literally...see below)





And then...well, then we will come to this weekend. When Melvin will rest. He will eat just enough, but not too much. He will drink a little, not a lot. He will write enough to feed his habit, but stop before overdosing.
Melvin's an interesting little guy. He's a passionate, dramatic and soulful little creature. He takes things seriously, over-analyzes everything, and pours himself into his work. But I guess that's the life of a writer--through the eyes of a hamster, anyway.